Fred Benjamin Heuer



My grandpa Fred Benjamin Heuer passed away on April 21st.

He was 90 years old, so it was somewhat expected, but I still didn't expect it to happen right then. Matthew and I had plans to go to New York City for our anniversary during the time the funeral was scheduled. After a lot of phone calls and emotions, we were able to cancel our plans, pack up the kids and drive to Michigan. It was interesting, because we had just returned from Michigan one week earlier. The HUGE blessing in that was seeing my grandpa one last time. But, the kids were not looking forward to another 9 hour drive.

Our decision to go is one that I will never regret! It was a meaningful few days for me and my family. My whole family gathered. All 8 of my grandpa's grandchildren were there. Thirteen of his 17 great grandchildren were there. My children benefitted SO much from the experience. Morgan was extremely emotional, but needed the closure. Ethan spent many quiet moments standing near the casket wondering and thinking. He was very somber and took it all into his heart. I was touched by his maturity. I found joy in listening to some of the stories of his life. We had lots of chances to share memories. My family enjoyed many hours of late night talking, which we haven't been able to do in a VERY long time. It was very nice and peaceful.

I want to write a few of my thoughts about my grandpa, because I want to celebrate his life. My first memories of him were in his Jackson, MI home. It seemed like a long drive to get there, but we always looked forward to it. Grandpa's chair was situated right by the entrance into a hall that led to the bedrooms and bathroom. We always had to RUN by him in order to avoid getting spanked on the bottom on our way by. We also had to avoid his legs, because if we were caught in between them we would be trapped until we gave the magic word (which always changed). Needless to say, my Grandpa was fun.

When I got older my grandparents moved to Grand Blanc, MI. During this time, I especially remember my Grandpa's teasing. He would ask me questions like: How many boys have you caught lately? (NONE!) or What do you think? (About what?) The cost of rhubarb, or How is kindergarten? (Grandpa, I'm in THIRD grade!) He also had lots of nicknames for us. My older sister Kristi and I were Zip and Zap. He like to call my rear end Pike's Peak and would often ask me how Pike's Peak was doing. I had to be very cautious when sitting next to my grandpa, because he would often put his hand on the couch as I was sitting, and I would end up sitting on his hand. Then, he would make a hurt face and say "OUCH!". Grandpa had quite a sense of humor!

It was during this time that my grandparents started going to Florida and each of the grandchildren got to take turns visiting them. I remember my grandpa playing shuffle board with us, taking us on boat rides, and especially taking us to look for shells. He always took us out to nice seafood restaurants and it would drive him crazy when we would order a hamburger. He was always trying to convince me to order alligator balls (which I never saw him try either). Seeing him among his friends in Florida, I got to see how much my Grandpa loved to be social. He was very involved in the community and had lots of friends.

As I got older, I came to appreciate my grandfather's life more. I remember having to do a report in high-school on someone who lived during the depression. I got out the cassette recorder and did an interview with my grandpa. I was amazed with his life. He came from a very humble beginning. His parents struggled to make ends meet, but he always worked hard. He worked 2 or 3 jobs at a time to get through college. Our favorite story is when he hitchhiked and jumped train cars all the way to Nevada one summer to work in the gold mines. His hard work paid off, and he became a teacher, then a principal and then assistant superintent of schools. I ALWAYS new education was important to my grandpa!

After growing up and having my own family, I got to see the love my grandpa had for my children. His body wouldn't allow him to play as rough, but he still loved to tease them and trap them in his legs. He looked forward to seeing us. We lived close at the time, so Matthew also got to know him well. He always talked sports with him (another of my Grandpa's loves). After my Grandma died and we moved away, Matthew would continue to visit him whenever he was in town on a business trip.

Speaking of my grandma, one of my favorite memories of my grandpa in later years, was when my grandma was sick. My grandma and grandpa showed little affection, but I always knew they loved each other. After all, it was "love at first sight". When my grandma got sick, I got to see HOW much my grandpa loved my grandma. He stayed at her side EVERY moment he could. He held her and hand and kissed her. I was grateful to witness this expression of love. I know that their reunion was a sweet one!

One week before he died we were in Michigan. Grandpa was in the hospital, so we took all the kids to see him. He was weak and extremely tired, but his eyes would light up every time he realized we were there. Even in his weakened state, he wanted to play with my kids. Ethan was in a corner, and he said "What are you doing hiding over there?" Morgan was near his bedside and we saw his hand reach out to try and grab her. My kids enjoyed being with grandpa those last moments. Morgan and Ethan both chose to go back to the hospital a second time to see him again. I hope they will always remember him and know how much he loved them! My grandpa LOVED his family!

I LOVE my grandpa!

2 comments:

Suzette said...

What a beautiful tribute Jenna. It was so nice to see you guys, an added bonus for us for sure.

Lisa said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about grandpa. They were well written and covered everything well. I love him too, and all of my family!